Thursday, November 27, 2014

What Am I Thankful For?

     I now work in a nursing facility as a maintenance supervisor, so I work with a lot of older people who are unable to get out, and many who can not even get out of bed.  Yesterday, while I was making some electrical and drywall repairs in a room, the lady in the other side of the room began to talk about her plans for Thanksgiving.  While she was talking, I began to think about some of the things that I see in these people's lives, and consequently, things that I am thankful for.  Let me share:

1.  People who live in nursing facilities, are largely forgotten.  So many of the people that I work for have family who never come to see them.  Several even have church family that never come and see them.  I am thankful that even though my family is busy, we still have time to spend time together!  We eat at my parents every Sunday afternoon, along with my brother Justus(whbsboy.blogspot.com), and brother Jared, and their families.  This year on Thanksgiving, there will be 13 people at mom and dad's house! All family!

2.  People who live in nursing facilities are often physically impaired.  Can you imagine having to have someone that you have never met get you out of bed in the morning?  Changing your clothes?  Giving you a shower or bath?  Brushing your teeth for you?  Cleaning you up two, three, or even four times a day, because you couldn't make it to the restroom in time?  Humiliating to say the least, wouldn't you say?  Put yourself in this situation.  I am thankful that I can get myself out of bed on my own in the morning, and take care of myself!  If you don't have to depend on someone else to care for your basic needs, you should get on your knees and thank God that for His goodness to you.  All it would take is a car accident, or a good hard knock to the head, and He could take it all away!


There are so many things that came to mind yesterday, but it would take me forever to write it all out.  Think about what you are thankful for, not only on Thanksgiving, but always.

I Thessalonians 5:18
     In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

No comments:

Post a Comment