Monday, October 13, 2014

The Death of a Loved One.

     As I was working today, I received news that someone that I know passed away this weekend.  I have only recently had the opportunity to know both her and her husband, and actually spoke to her husband on Friday.  As he and I talked, we discussed salvation a little bit.  He was carrying a gospel tract in his pocket, and I asked if I could look at it, and of course, he allowed me to do so.  A little later, when I stood up to leave, he said to me, "So, you know you are going to Heaven then?"
     
     "Of course!" I said.  "I asked the Lord to save me in October 1995, and the next Sunday, I got baptized"  Then, just to verify, I said, "We both know that baptism doesn't get us to Heaven though, right?"  He grinned at me, and said,

     "Trusting in Jesus as your Savior is the only way to get to Heaven."  I don't remember the exact date that he gave me, but he then gave me the testimony of having been saved some time in the 1940's!  Wow!

     That was a fun, and exciting conversation.  The next morning, his wife went to be with the Lord.  They had been married almost twice as long as I have been alive. 

     Sandra and I have been married for only 5 years, and I love her so much, that it is hard to imagine being able to love her more than I do now.  These two people were nearly inseparable after decades of marriage together. 

    Sadly, our "me first" society has kept many from the joy of sharing their life in holy matrimony with another person of the opposite gender "till death do us part." 

     I hope and pray(as well as determine), to keep the vows that I made to my spouse.  I also am looking forward to many decades of a wonderful and sweet relationship with her, as these two people had after so many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment